Saturday, April 22, 2006

And so another phase in the experiment begins...

Several of my (offline) friends are into blogging and so, to have another chance to shoot my mouth off (pun intended) i got into this blogger deal. One friend in particular (and you know who you are ;-) has asked me (um, at least three times) where my blog is, so here goes. First a little of why it has taken me so long to get here.

my "blog" chronology so far -

some afternoon of Fall 1999: while in the library of a local Technical College (lovingly referred to as "Taco Tech" by some), i overheard two students talking about reading a "BLOG". i promptly wasted the afternoon surfing the net to find out what the heck a "BLOG" was. i drove home later that afternoon proud of myself for having discovered that "BLOG" is short for "web log". (yes, i am a useless information geek and it doesn't take much to make me happy)

Fall 1999-Spring 2001: i occasionally wasted an afternoon in the library surfing the net and reading "blogs" of various types - political, personal, spiritual, philosophical. Again and again it struck me - "How can these people put all this stuff (what they're thinking, feeling, going through, etc.) out on the net where anybody can read it?!" By the time i finished my stint at the Technical College, i had convinced myself that blogs were written by people that (for whatever reason) craved attention.

Summer 2001-June 2003: armed with my degree from the Technical College, i now had to get a "real job" and provide for my family. Not much time or opportunity for reading blogs during this time but, once in a while, an email with a link to one of several political blogs would find its way to me and i'd waste a few minutes reading and maybe even post a comment. ("I'm mad too, Eddie, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!" - and if you get that joke i bet you're even older than i am :-)

June 2003: My best friend in the world dies. no joke. way too young... Lung cancer... He didn't even smoke... i was really mad at the world there for a while and i made my first attempt at a blog. Its just a one page website that i added to a website that i run for my folks. The hosting service comes with "unlimited websites" (we're probably up to five websites on that host by now) I added comments and just kept making the page longer on a sporadic basis until March of 2005. (the software wasn't set up to be a "blog" so its presented as a letter that i continue writing to my friend) The page still exists, i read it every once in a while but i haven't updated it since around mid '05 when i rearranged the page a little.

April 2006:Several things have happened that i need to note on the letter to my friend - guess its time to re-read it and update it. And that brings me up to now - here i am actually using "blogging" software (my mother will be so proud :-)

2 comments:

Manda said...

Thanks for sending me the link!! Looks cool!
-"that friend"

P. T. S. F. said...

jenn... it was good to talk to you tonight. take your time reading the letter - some days i was more mad than others... you and i must stay in touch better. please tell your folks and the girls and Sean that i said "hi".

in case anybody is curious - i won't be linking from here to my original "blog" attempt - its just too personal