Friday, May 26, 2006

The National Mall

Now just in case you weren't paying attention in 8th grade Civics class...


yes class, its the entire Gettysburg Address carved into the wall (in the side wall located on Pres. Lincoln's right) in the Lincoln Memorial.


President Lincoln (he looks really cool in person but the flood lights on him just completely washed out any detail in this picture). Also, on the top step of about the third tier of steps (the steps are slightly darker, no joke, the guide said so) is a stone with an inscription commemorating Dr Martin Luther King, Jr and his "I have a Dream" speech. I could barely make out the words "I have a Dream" so I didn't even attempt a picture.



Oh no! Look! Up in the sky! An airplane is flying over the Lincoln Memorial! Is it safe!?!

No worries. A small section of the National Mall now looks like boot camp (I should have gotten a picture of the missile launcher - not a joke).

Here is a nice shot of the Washington Monument with "the reflecting pool made famous in the movie 'Forrest Gump' " :-)

Same monument, a couple hours after dark. Can you see the two different colors of stone used in building the monument? It was started and then construction had to be stopped. When construction on the monument resumed, they couldn't get the exact same stone that they started with so the bottom third is a lighter color. This also shows up in the photo in my May 10 post. There the sunset is hitting the monument and it blazes.

Because I love the flag. Seriously.

Just about to cross the street while walking back to the subway station (it stays open until 3am on weekends) and I noticed the full moon. Ran back to the Washington Monument and circled until moon was in the "right" spot. Didn't like how that shot looked so I took this one laying down on the ground. If you're a photog, then you know what I'm talking about.

Looking down the National Mall towards the Capitol. The main building of the Smithsonian "The Castle" can be seen on right hand side of the picture. The flat white triangle in front of the Capitol is the tent seen with the helicopter in the above photograph. No, I didn't climb up in the cherry picker (shadow) to get a better shot but yes, it did pass through my mind.

This was taken from just about the same spot on the previous evening. And, I actually managed to get about the same "scenery" - you can see the Capitol in the distance and the flag on top of the Castle building to the right.

The Castle. Statue of James Smithson in front. http://www.si.edu/visit/infocenter/sicastle.htm

The reflecting pool in front of the Capitol. Its too shallow to fish in (but thats not a problem because you wouldn't want to eat anything that came out of that water). I wonder what contributes to the foul smell more - the birds (fowl) or the Congress?? [S. 2611 (for example) stinks...]

The Capitol taken while standing next to a statue of General Grant. This statue is at about the 9 o'clock position in the previous photograph.

The Capitol. At dusk. Askew. Because I think it looks cool.

One of my friends said that she saw "the sniper" step behind one of the tall columns. I don't doubt that there is now a sniper (in addition to the tanks, helicopters and missile launchers) guarding the Capitol, but I didn't see him.

Coming soon - the Museum of Natural History!

1 comment:

Manda said...

Great pics!! Sorry we have not yet returned your phone call. Things have been nuts around here. I hope your dog is all right!
I am so glad you are a blogger!
-M