Friday, December 01, 2006

Posada

All in all, this was a good week. Tonight we went with my dad to the local Posada. (Pop was just in town to chauffer a friend down into Mexico)

The Posada is an interesting Christmas season Hispanic tradition. I am told that the Posada originated in the Catholic church as a procession to celebrate the Holy Family. I have no idea if that is true or not but I have seen the local Posada held in the downtown park a couple different years now. This has evolved into parade, county fair-type food booths, pictures with Santa, big stage, small stage, little rides for kiddos.

I didn't get to see the whole parade (we went to see my daughter in a hand bell choir) but i did see a couple of the floats leaving the area after the parade. This was probably more entertaining than seeing the actual parade. On one float was a "shepherd" smoking a cigarette like it was his last meal and another had guys in kilts with swords and longarms. I have no idea what that has to do with Christmas but made me want to yell "Huzzah!".

No comments: