Saturday, November 18, 2006

Too Much Government

Yesterday I flew home from a software training and company meeting. While its good to see co-workers that I haven't seen in a while, travel is getting to be more and more of a hassle. This is the first time that I have flown without checking luggage.

Now its: show your I.D., wear slip on shoes, take the laptop out of the case, 3-1-1 , empty your pockets, "Bag Search!". More than once I have wondered what our founding fathers would think of our measures to keep ourselves "safe". Sometimes I think they would be quite bothered with the fact that we are so abundantly comfortable with so much government interference in our lives while we tolerate disappearing liberties.

Thanks to some over zealous legislator, I cannot take a short lunch if I feel like it (and some days I feel like it). Federal law requires that any day that I work 6 hours or more, I must break for at least 30 minutes. I am no longer allowed to check email, take phone calls or handle anything even remotely "business related" on my lunch break.

I'm just about sick of government interference and the next two years aren't shaping up to be any better.

No comments: