Friday, January 19, 2007

Coming Home, Remembering

My flight will be boarding in a few minutes - i'm enduring an infamous "layover" because the only direct flight back was at an inconvenient time for me.

I've been out of town working this week so i again missed a chance to go skating with the youth group (Monday night), right now i am missing being at "Polar Express" with wifey and kiddo (an annual party at kiddo's elementary school) and because the weather was SO BAD in Austin, i didn't have a chance to go to Red's 100 yard indoor range to relax.

But i'm avoiding saying what is Really bothering me right now. i have worked almost three years on a committee for our state cancer registrar organization's website and now, when we have accomplished *so* much, i find myself with a painful case of writer's block. One of the major improvements that was added was a place for dedications to those who have battled cancer, both those we still have with us and those who have passed on.

I have been planning, since before it was talked about with TxTRA, to memorialize my best friend who died of non-smoker's lung cancer at the age of 31. One of the first webpages that i built was an attempt at this but it instead of being a memorial to the world it became my anonymous grief rant. To this day, very few people that know me have seen it.

With the dedication page on www.txtra.org, i am hoping to remedy this. The new dedication page will (hopefully) be a source of healing for others, as well. It is difficult for me to describe the friendship we had. In Spanish there is a hymn that says in part "Hay momentos que las palabras no alcansan" - roughly translated this would be "There are moments that words cannot touch" (but it sounds better in Spanish).

Oy! my plane is boarding - i have to run.

No comments: