Thursday, June 15, 2006

Flag Day

You don't hear much hoopla about it, but if you look on a calendar with all American holidays marked on it, you will see that June 14th in the United States of America is Flag Day.

Recently I celebrated a birthday (there was one candle on the cake - a wax question mark). I received several really nice things (getting gifts on my birthday somehow embarrasses me a little bit - I almost feel like saying "wow. um, i didn't really do anything to deserve this - maybe you should give this to my mom." :-)

Being a "June Bug" and fiercely patriotic, I have always enjoyed the fact that my birthday is in the same month as Flag Day. For this birthday, my honey gave me a "Decorative Wood Pole US Banner Set" - its an American flag (stitched, not dyed) with a nice adjustable mount. It was made in America. (did you have to ask?) I'm so proud of my new flag that this morning before I went to work, I got it all set up and if you come to my house you will see it. (have I mentioned today that I Love My Country? - well I do!)

Honey and Lady Bug really did a good job surprising me!

On a side note, Spain trounced the Ukraine 4-0 in World Cup play today. Four to nothing is the kind of performance that Brazil (#1) should have given against Croatia (ranked 23rd). Plain and simple, the Brazilians were show-boating. On a nicer note, the referees are doing a really solid job from what I have seen. Off-sides calls and yellow cards have been plentiful in the first round and I for one hope that, no matter who wins this Cup, the referees continue to make them do it fair and square. The Ukraine played half their game against Spain with only 10 men because of a well-deserved red card.

More later.

No comments: