Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup 2006

For me, things have come full circle. I grew up watching "Soccer Made in Germany" on PBS years ago and now the World Cup is being held in Germany. Cool.

Those of you who know me well know that I am a cheapskate. Therefore, I will not pay for television. Television should be free. (I can't really defend that position but hey, I'm a cheapskate) I like free stuff. This blog, for instance, is free. And thankfully each year the internet brings me more World Cup news faster and faster so I will never have to pay for television. But I digress...

Where we live we get 6 channels in Spanish and two channels in English (NBC & PBS). The One Redeeming Value of Spanish television is World Cup coverage. If any country from Mexico south to Argentina is playing - I get to see the game live. Some games are on every (Spanish) channel! The Pope doesn't even get coverage like this! The only way team USA gets covered is if they happen to be playing against one of these teams.

Right now Paraguay is playing against England. Inexplicably, two of the Spanish channels are showing infomercials instead of the game - I guess Paraguay didn't make the cut for them.

Personally, my loyalties are split when it comes to the World Cup. Team USA has always been my favorite. I have always cheered for USA and "whoever is playing against Brazil". My in-laws are Mexican and so, ever since I got married, I have had to cheer for Mexico to some degree, also. This year its worse than usual. Now I have a good friend who is Brazilian and he has actively encouraged me to cheer for Brazil. I have not yet worked up the courage to explain to him that, with the exception of Pele' , Brazil has always been the "bad guys" with myself and my soccer watching buddies. I will cheer for them (a little) this year IF they play clean games. If they play dirty, I just can't pull for them. Its a shame that they consistently play dirty - they generally have very talented players and they could win games without breaking the rules.

You should see this picture.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/photos/index.html?aid=340742&d=1 The caption reads "German police keep watch as a Mexican soccer fan arrives at the main train station in Nuremberg, Saturday, June 10, 2006." Hard core soccer fans are a kinda nutty group (i know where i was during the last six World Cups - do you?)

Well, enjoy the game and good luck to your favorite team! (btw, England beat Paraguay 1-0)

No comments: