Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Annual Haircut - Before

My best friend of 13 years died June 29, 2003 and his birthday was July 16th. While trying to find some way to grieve I cut off my hair and beard July 16, 2003. For some reason I had felt that I should be able to "grieve" then have some "closure" and then "get on with life" but now I no longer claim to know what those phrases mean. All I know is that I am here and a man that was closer to me than anyone else in the world is not here.

I am very fortunate in that I have a GREAT wife who is also a good friend to me. I have a larger circle of friends now than some people will ever have in their entire life. This afternoon I had coffee with a really good friend (he is a great listener) and then I went and got measured for a tux for Emmanuel's wedding. (The lady didn't take my hat size, so I guess we don't all get matching hats - I miss Oklahoma weddings :-)

Okay, here are a couple "before" pictures.

Yes, my hairline continues to (slowly) recede. Right now I have the same hairstyle that my paternal grandfather had when he died at age 69. If things keep going according to family history, I will get the infamous "Male Pattern Baldness" (from my maternal grandfather) about the time I turn 40. Its only hair, right?

To date, I have made three attempts to read C.S. Lewis' book A Grief Observed and have been unable to finish it. Someday I will read that book but not today.

Today, I will cut my hair. Then I will shave my beard. Then I will shave my head.

I blacked out the eyes because I just look morose in this picture.

This year June 29 came and went (on a Thursday) and I didn't even realize what day it was. This isn't because I'm "coping so well" or anything - I was just swamped at work. When I realized (on July 3) that I just been working all day on the 29th and had never given my fallen friend a thought - well that hit me pretty hard.

Here is a shot of my soon to be "neck - ed" neck. Trust me on the black box here - from this angle my nose is... well, lets just say this is not my best side.

And, no, my nose is not (quite) that wide but I took the opportunity to cover my eyes as well.

What I'm reading right now. No joke.

Today has been an interesting day so far. Before coffee I stopped in at a comic shop that I had never seen before - they've been there about a year and a half the man behind the counter told me. I picked up a few more issues of Marvel's "Civil War" - a fairly good read.

Various and sundry implements of destruction.

The pink bottle is "Hair Removal Gel Cream". In the past, I have cut my hair very short - this year I'm toying with the idea of being as bald as a cue ball.

It says "DO NOT use on face or ears" and I have to "patch test" a spot and wait 24 hours before I can use it on my head. Scary.

More later (or "less later" if you mean hair :-)

1 comment:

Manda said...

Monte, reading these entries endears me to your bald head. I think it's a great tribute to your friend, who I suspect was probably just as funloving and goofy as you are! Also, I have a book recommendation for ya by C.S. Lewis: _The Problem of Pain_. I think it's the journal he wrote not long after losing his dear wife to a lifelong illness. Powerful stuff. I'll double check to make sure that's the right one (it's impossible to find anything around here!!).