Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Stupidest Thing I Ever Heard

Friday I finished my week early and, as I was driving home, I was listening to the local talk radio station. Sean Hannity was on the radio and it was his annual show to raise money for a college scholarship fund for orphans of fallen soldiers. This, in my opinion, is a very admirable idea and I am glad that they have been able to raise so much money.

So I was glibly driving along, feeling all patriotic when it happened.

The Stupidest Thing I Ever Heard was broadcast on radios across the United States.

Sean Hannity was talking with one of his guests at this fund-raising concert and Hannity says "What is it with this soccer?" and starts to rant about how soccer is such a foolish game and a waste of time and its just the perfect game for "our friends the French", etc, etc. Then his guest, being completely serious, says "if we had more Americans like my dad then we wouldn't be in this mess we're in right now". So I'm thinking "which 'mess' is he talking about?" and he goes on to say "I can remember when I was a kid my dad said 'Soccer is a Communistic Plot' and, since he was the athletic director, he refused to allow soccer to be played. We need more Americans like my dad." So this guy "refused to allow soccer to be played" - yeah, thats democratic.

Holy cow. I sent an email to Sean Hannity telling him that if this were true then we're screwed because Democracy is dead except for a few hold-outs in the USA. Also, the most popular sport in Cuba is baseball - even Fidel Castro is smart enough to realize that sport does not equal politics.

It galls me to hear conservative commentators make stupid remarks because it gives ammunition to the left. If Sean Hannity doesn't like soccer, so what? Nobody is forcing him to watch it. Dear Sean Hannity, eat a bug. (But at least I'm not bitter :-)

No comments: