Sunday, August 27, 2006

Random Thoughts on a Plane, etc.

my mind wanders on plane rides so i write down notes - no need to fool with "approved electronic devices" because i would just have to turn them off and sit for 10 - 20 minutes while we get ready to unload.

I had the tomato juice again :-) The conference was in Austin but they flew me way out of the way (to get a good ticket price? because I asked for "American"? who knows?)

Literally as I was boarding the plane Tuesday morning, the headline "Terror in the Air" was flashed on the TV screen - what perfect timing. I never found out what the news story was.

While I was waiting in an airport Friday afternoon a story was playing on TV of a plane that had to make an emergency landing because of an "unruly passenger". I didn't get to hear the whole story so, naturally, I made one up for myself.
Passenger #1 starts getting loud and won't listen to flight attendants. Passenger #2 (a muscular man, but scared of flying nonetheless) gets nervous that Passenger #1 is "trying to do something" (other than just being a jerk) and Passenger 2 punches Passenger 1 to shut him up (b/c #2 is really getting to be a Nervous Nellie by now). #1 is a bleeder & the plane has to make an emergency landing.

Who needs CNN when you have an overactive imagination? At least I amuse myself.

Every time we go to these educational conferences we come back with tons of promotional crap. This time was no different. I went prepared with a second carry-on bag stashed in my suitcase. I'm glad I took it. I was able to bring back the two-inch binder with the conference materials and another 2 inch binder & 1 inch binder that another conference attendee decided they didn't have room to take. I was also given a wall clock, a desk clock, a coffee mug (with arrows that I think are supposed to change colors when you add hot coffee), a costume jewelry necklace (the central registry was celebrating hitting "gold standard"), 2 "puzzle" desk clocks, a coffee mug with my company's logo, a personal fan (also with my company's logo), several assorted tote bags, a nice star-shaped paper weight (for chairing a committee), a nice Quill pen (as a thank you from my boss), and a pink "Cancer Sucks" hat that I won in a vendor drawing.

For wifey I bought: a special tote bag, a cookbook (she is an awesome cook) and a shirt from "Chuy's". For daughter I bought a notepad and cool pencil and a "Chuy's" t-shirt with a Dr. Suess-ish look to it. I also gave daughter the costume jewelry necklace. For me I bought two [bright yellow] luggage tags, a "Cancer Sucks" vinyl stick on for my car, several humorous buttons and a "Chuy's" t-shirt. I got the one that says "Our Gas Is Cheaper" for me.

My boss is a big fan of Chuy's so anytime we're in Austin, its a given that we'll be at Chuy's one night for dinner. At least the food is good.

It was easy to stay awake during the conference because it was a good conference. But as an added "perk", during some of the breaks "Starbucks" coffee was available (it was free but it was self-serve so don't be too envious ;-)

Thursday was too long because of a roundtable discussion (and an interesting story...)

During a layover Friday evening I stopped at T G I Fridays and split an appetizer with my good buddy from work. (He has moved his wedding from October 2006 to February 2007 so thats one less thing I'll be worrying about this year.) After the appetizer we each ordered some fudge dessert and I was too tired to eat! I spent most of Saturday and part of today just sacked out.

3 comments:

Lily of the Valley said...

Hey, would that personal fan happen to be a handheld electric fan? If so, can I borrow it for labor and delivery?

P. T. S. F. said...

That sounds like a good idea. That way the Troy-meister can feel useful. You just lay back and do the hard work and every once in a while holler "Fan Man, Fan!" :-)

Lily of the Valley said...

thanks man. will be of tremendous help.