Saturday, September 02, 2006

Good Brit / Bad Brit

Today I was reminded of why my forebears left England.

While I was checking the net for news this morning, I was reading the Washington Post online and found this pic on washingtonpost.com - check out the blurb explaining it.

This frame grab provided and digitally manipulated by the British television company Channel 4, released Friday, Sept. 1, 2006, is taken from the upcoming drama "Death of a President." In the film, shot in the style of a retrospective documentary, President George W. Bush is assassinated by a sniper. The program uses actors and digital manipulation of real footage to show a fictional account of Bush being gunned down after delivering a speech in Chicago. Channel 4 plans to show the program on Oct. 9 and it is also scheduled to be shown at the Toronto Film Festival in September. (AP Photo/Channel 4/ho)
Photo Credit: AP Photo

[Bad Brit]

Look, I'm all for free speech and supporting anybody's right to have a bad idea but give me a break - there is a reason that we don't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. There are limits. Making a movie about the assassination of a US president is one thing. Even "West Wing", the show that took veiled "shots" at the sitting president at least had some decency about it.

But I really think this one crosses the line.

Now if you want to cheer up a bit and see my idea of Good Brit then check out my friend Lily's blog and the Monty Python clip of the "Argument Clinic" http://philosophy4christians.blogspot.com/2006/08/argument-clinic-what-are-definitions.html

And before anybody misunderstands what I am saying, I am not claiming that the British have the market cornered on bad taste. We've got plenty of that here, ourselves.

No comments: