Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Loss, etc.

Well I resisted the temptation to rant yesterday. I watched several different commerative services and some of my favorite websites had special tributes, too. I was pleasantly surprised that, for the most part, the politicians left the politics out of the memorials.

Like every American, I feel a great sense of loss touching the events of September 11, 2001.

Even though I did not know anyone that died that day, for some reason, every year on September 11, I am also reminded of my own personal losses. It has become "Memorial Day" for me.

Most of my current friends know of the death of one of my very best friends from advanced stage lung cancer on Sunday, June 29, 2003; however, he was not the first friend that I have lost to disease.

About 1991, while I was living in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, a good friend from college died from leukemia. Both of these friends were, at the times of their deaths, younger than I am now. Both were married with children.

Recently, in a rather short period of time, I found out that at least four of my friends will be moving. Some sooner, some later, some sorta far away and some really far away but all moving away. Change is the only constant. Progress is optional.

The battle continues. The American Embassy in Damascus, Syria was (unsuccessfully) attacked today. Life goes on.

No comments: