Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Un-birthday to Me!

Well I'm almost forty and I've been married (to the same woman) for almost thirteen years and she can still surprise me! For two weeks my wife and daughter have been planning a surprise "un-birthday" party for me. My birthday isn't until next month and she really played up the "Big 4-0" angle. Black streamers, a "Welcome to Over the Hillville" sign on the front door - she is great. I had no clue what was going (believe it or not) until I saw the front door.

My wife finishes her day at 4pm. Some days I don't get done at the office until 6 or 6:30. Many times I have talked to her on a Friday afternoon and her conversation has been something to the effect of "Hurry it up, man! I want to go see a movie!"

Yesterday I was having a bad day (SO ready for the week to end - hardware problems, software problems, staff problems - oy!) then to top it off, I got a sinus headache. Naturally I called my wife and, wouldn't you know it, instead of the usual Friday "just sneak out of the office" pep talk, my wife was giving me a "you can hang in there" pep talk! (But I didn't get what was going on)

She told me "call me when you're really really leaving work and I'll tell you what to pick up for dinner because I don't feel like cooking". No prob. Before I went inside the pizza place, I called to find out what she had ordered - I was in no mood to get home and find out I only had half the order (or whatever). Do you know what she told me? "Three large pizzas, one black olive, one pepperoni and one supreme. I don't feel like cooking all week." I know. You're thinking "What dunderhead would fall for a line like that?" In my own defense, I consider pizza to be its own food group and I have, more than likely, eaten enough cold pizza to fill a dumpster. So the prospect of eating cold pizza for a week was fine by me. The only problem is that I think my wife is just waiting for the next time I call her with a sinus headache...

She pulled off a Great surprise party with some of our closest friends. I had a really great time just eating pizza and chocolate cake and talking with my friends. It was the best un-birthday I've ever had!

1 comment:

Manda said...

Hooray! We loved being a part of the fun.