Friday, March 21, 2008

Toward A Simpler EULA

So I'm dragging my heels again (technology wise) and just finally getting around to installing a webcam on my wife's computer. I have ZERO excuse here because the webcam was a Christmas gift (sorry Moose).

It occurs to me that we could really simplify the "End User License Agreement" (EULA). I am apparently among the 2% of computer users that actually read the EULA (have you ever read one) and they all seem to be very similiar to me in essense. So why not save some words, simplify things for the consumer and raise the percentage of people that actually read these things all in one fell swoop?

It would be a short, simple four point document.

1. This software can only be used on this one machine. If you want to install the software on other machines, buy more software.

2. This software can only be used for the purpose stated on the package. You're forbidden from using it to write you own code, you're forbidden from taking the software apart or anything of the like.

3. If you should choose to install this software, you can't blame us for any run of bad luck. If your machine bursts into flame, if your significant other leaves you, if you get fired or if you run your car into the ditch, you can't blame us. Sucks to be you.

4. Any dispute over this EULA will taken care of in a jurisdiction that is most favorable to us and least favorable to you. (Just like your credit card)

I'm just saying...

No comments: