Monday, July 02, 2007

Fireworks

After giving my little idea more thought I believe that, if I'm going to do any justice to this idea I'm going to have to take it in small pieces. There is just so much cool stuff to be patriotic about!

I like this - it turns out that I'm already learning more about my nation's history.

I was just about to tell you what I have heard all my life about the 4th of July and fireworks. You see, since I was a little kid I have heard it repeated that the tradition of fireworks had to do with commemorating America's victory in the War of 1812. You know - "... the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air..." and if I had told you that, then I would have been wrong. As it turns out (according to PBS) the idea of fireworks on the 4th of July are almost as old as the Declaration of Independence.

According to an article from PBS.org : "On July 8, 1776, the first public readings of the Declaration were held in Philadelphia's Independence Square to the ringing of bells and band music. One year later, on July 4, 1777, Philadelphia marked Independence Day by adjourning Congress and celebrating with bonfires, bells and fireworks."