Sunday, July 29, 2007

We're Not in Kansas Anymore

So I stop in to my local video rental chain store to pick up Smallville Season Two Disc 4 (my wife and I have recently become followers of the show after she saw a few old episodes on Spanish TV) and they don't have it. Well, this is a bummer. If I was looking for a movie and it wasn't in, I'd just get another movie but I'm actually following this teenage soap opera. (oh the shame)

We even had a bit of confusion when we rented season 2 Disc 1 - we had seen the last episode of season 1 a couple nights before and now nothing was making any sense. My wife took it straight back to the video rental chain store and the teenagers behind the counter just feigned confusion. [This is the part where I really refrain from making tacky comments and just get on with the narrative] Anyway, my wife is bound and determined to see the episodes in order so, one day while I'm at work, she uses her new laptop to look up episode guides, plot synopsis, just all sorts of Smallville trivia and calls me at work to let me know. This kind of research is a bit out of character for her. Normally my wife just uses the net to look for recipes and decorating tips (not being sexist, just stating a fact) and I have to do all the "serious" research (yes, referring to Smallville as serious was tongue-in-cheek but let's not dwell on that).

So Smallville has effected us. (Not to mention that I could really become addicted to watching television shows with no commercials)

Apparently somebody else has also recently started following Smallville because I keep finding season 2 discs out. But not to fear. My resourceful wife picked up House instead (she knows I like medical TV shows) and each of these episodes is a stand alone so I don't have to watch them in sequence for everything to make sense! (I know you're so happy for me :-)

No comments: