Monday, October 22, 2007

Political Bliss, Logistical Nightmare

Since my good friends Johnny & Amanda have moved to California, I have been forced to re-think my opinion of "Californians". While searching the internet "to see if there's any more gold in them thar hills", I ran across the blog California Conservatives for Truth .

It looks like it was a good site but, sadly, it appears that it hasn't been updated in over a year. But, true to my mission, I scanned through the archives to get an eye for the content - it does have a lot of links - I gotta give 'em that.

Anyway, I found a humorous piece that the blog author pulled from dumblaws.com :

Idiots may not vote.

CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO
ADOPTED JANUARY 21, 1911
Article VII. Elective Franchise
Section 1. [Qualifications of voters; absentee voting; school elections; registration.]

Every citizen of the United States, who is over the age of twenty-one years, and has resided in New Mexico twelve months, in the county ninety days, and in the precinct in which he offers to vote thirty days, next preceding the election, except idiots, insane persons and persons convicted of a felonious or infamous crime unless restored to political rights, shall be qualified to vote at all elections for public officers. The legislature may enact laws providing for absentee voting by qualified electors. All school elections shall be held at different times from other elections.


Personally, I think this law is a great idea but it presents a logistical nightmare. To be able to justy say that idiots cannot vote, you would be faced with the monumental task of getting the idiots out of Congress. I have to agree with Mark Twain on this one: "Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." [Mark Twain, c.1882] Some people would say that this would extend to the White House but George Bush is no idiot. Crazy like a fox, maybe, but not an idiot.

2 comments:

tiredofliberalbs said...

This is overly ironic, however, I came across your site searching through some stuff. I am proud to announce that www.cc4truth.com is back up and running. I have added some new contributors and hope to have the site flourishing again soon. May I add your site to my links?

P. T. S. F. said...

Sure dude. That would be cool.